Monday, March 9, 2009

He Didn't Have to Be!

I am sure you have heard the song "He Didn't Have to Be" by Brad Paisley.

What? You haven't?

Oh, you must hear the song!


I know that the song is really a song from a son to his dad, but I really think of my dad when I hear the song.

How?

Well, the song is so my dad! He started dating my mom, who was a single mom with 4 kids!! Not just one kid BUT 4!! He not only fell in love with my mom but also with ALL the kids as well. They married. He took the kids in, treated them like the his own, adopted them and gave them his name. I am amazed by that.

Why is that so amazing???


Well, my mom was 29 with 4 kids and my dad was 51!!! His other 3 kids were grown, married with families of their own and he loving took 4 kids...ages 2-8...and started raising them!!!





That to me is AMAZING!!! So this song is to honor my dad. Who didn't have to be a dad again. He didn't have to marry a woman with 4 children. He didn't have to have me. My dad's heart was so big and so sweet and full of love!!


I miss his laugh and the twinkle in his eye when we came over! His birthday was yesterday. He would have been 87. My dad was amazing! I, too, can only hope to be as good to my children as he was to ALL of his!!


HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY DADDY!!!!!!!!!!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVFmHHxXCVg
(go here to watch the video and here the song)

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I can so relate to this post and the song, too!! My dad married my mom when I was 5. He had two daughters from a previous marriage, they were teenagers! But he married mom, they had my sister, and he adopted me as his own. I have often been reminded of my heavenly adoption by Jesus because of the example my earthy father gave me. Thanks for the reminder today. :)

brickmomma said...

sweet sweet post!!!