Monday, December 29, 2008

A Place for My Mom!

Christmas was going to be difficult this year. No way around it. All things were different. I don't think there was one thing that we did that was the same as last year or the year before. Without my mom here with us, it changed everything.

I told you all earlier that we were changing our Christmas Traditions this year. Hosting Christmas at my house was something I have never done before. I was up for the challenge. It was going to be different. Different than any other Christmas in many ways.

I wanted to honor my mom. I wanted it to look like something she would do. Pretty table, pretty dishes, pretty everything. I set the table to look like hers. She had given me her beautiful table cloth last year because it did not fit her table anymore. I used it, along with the napkins that matched. I used a Christmas tree that my Grandfather gave me, it had belonged to my Grandmother. He also gave me the napkin rings that she made her self, but I was unable to use them. I could not figure out how to make them look as pretty as my mom had in the past. Here is a picture of my table:
Pretty huh? Do you notice something in the first picture that looks strange? A picture frame at the end of the table? Well, I wanted to show that my mom was here in my heart. I wanted the family to see that I missed her. I wanted to feel like she was here. So, a sweet man from CBC sent me a letter with a poem. The letter was about how some people really hurt during the holidays without their loved ones here. It spoke to me. Then there was a sweet poem that he sent as well. Here it is:
I attached the picture of my mom and dad at the bottom. It is really a great poem. It is hard to read in the picture so........


I'm Spending Christmas with Jesus This Year

I see the countless Christmas trees around the world below.
With tiny lights like heaven's stars, reflecting on the snow.
The sight is so spectacular-please wipe away that tear.
For I'm spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

I hear the many Christmas songs the people hold so dear.
But the sound of music can't compare with the Christmas choir I hear.
I have no other words to tell the joy of their voices bring.
For it's beyond description to hear the angels sing.

I know how much you miss me-I see the pain inside your heart.
But I am not so far away-we really aren't apart.
Be happy for me, loved ones, you know I hold you dear.
And be glad I'm spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

I send you each a special gift from my heavenly home above.
I send you each a memory of my undying love.
After all, "love" is the gift, more precious than pure gold.
It was always most important in the stories Jesus told.

Please love and help each other, as our Father said to do.
For I cannot count the blessings of the love He has for you.
Please have a Merry Christmas and wipe away that tear.
Remember- I'm spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

I can't tell you of all the splendor or the peace here in this place.
Can you imagine Christmas with our Savior, face to face?
I'll ask Him to lift your spirit as I tell Him of your love.
So then pray one for another as you lift your eyes above.

Please let your hearts be joyful, and let your spirits sing.
I'm spending Christmas in heaven; I'm spending it with the King.

Terri Kernicki


Wow! I love this poem! So, I used it to set a place for my mom at our table! It seemed as it was her Christmas card to us this year. She was dancing and singing with the heaven choir of angels on the most important day in history!!!! Can you imagine?? How could anyone be sad to hear that wonderful news!?? I know one day I will celebrate Christmas with her again but until then...I will continue to set a place for my mom!!!

3 comments:

TBSHARP said...

Yea, I got to sit next to her this year. She kept staring at my plate. Her son Tracy kept talking over her. Finally, turned her to the right so she could stare at Britney for a while!

Nicole said...

That is awesome! Your table & house were beautiful! My grandmother had that exact tree! I would love to have it......
When she passed away, I didnt have a house or storage or anything so I didnt get anything from her. I wish I had a few small things like that now. I miss her too. Thanks for the poem and your precious spirit! Happy New Year!

Becky said...

It looks beautiful and how special for someone to have sent you that poem! I think she was at the same table in heaven as our Nanny because we sure did miss her this year for Christmas!! Having her just gone the week before was so sad.....she had gifts for everyone that my mom-in-law passed out! :o(
I hope you found comfort in everything new that you started this year! See you soon!