Wednesday, May 7, 2008

One Year Ago Today


One year ago today, I said good-bye to one of the greatest men I have ever known. I watched for 5 months as he wasted away to practically nothing. Begging daily for us to let him get up. Even so much as asking for a beer and cigarette (he had not smoked or drank beer in over 15 years). I watched as he lost the ability to do anything for himself...and I mean anything!!! He relied on mom and I for everything. We take for granted everyday all the simple things in life that we are able to do for our self....like getting a drink of water. I still hear him at night....water....I need water. The last days of his life was so hard. You know he is leaving. You know your time is limited. What do you say?? Do you talk about it?? Do you ask questions that you have had for years?? He made it clear that he loved me...I made it clear to him that it was ok for him to leave us here. He made it clear to Trey that he wanted Trey to take care of mom and I....Trey made it clear that he would do so lovingly. My dad was one of the strongest men that I know. He was 85 and up until a year and a half before he died he was still mowing the yard, fixing things, and was still able to do somethings that some 58 year old I know think they can't. Watching my dad pass from this life, into the next life was both horrible and wonderful. Knowing that he was meeting Jesus, being able to get out of the bed and walk, knowing that he was no longer in pain was a great feeling. BUT, on the other hand....knowing that I would not see him for a very long time, knowing I would not hear his voice again, knowing that he would not be able to see his new grandchild was almost unbearable. Would I have wanted to be anywhere else a year ago?? NO WAY!! My father took care of me from the time that I was born to the time that he died....And I was going to be there to take care of him...even if that meant that I would be taken away from my husband and children. I believe that God intended for us to take care of our parents. Some say that they would not be able to handle that, and yes I had family members said that they couldn't...I say " I can do ALL things in Christ, for which he gives me STRENGTH" Philippians 4:13 I miss my dad. It is hard to believe that it has been one year today....time flies...take advantage to the time that you have with your loved ones...stop...enjoy them....experience all that they have to offer, because one day they won't be here and you will wish you had!!!!

1 comment:

brickmomma said...

Wow, it has been a fast year!

As I spent the last several weeks taking care of my grandmother my sister told me 'how she just couldn't do that'. I say how can you not?